Videos of Monthly Paintings

Loading...

Monday, April 12, 2010

Onion, Clove of Garlic



I am still trying to unravel the mystery of painting onions and garlic. Pulling of the skin of the onion, dismantling the head of garlic altogether- I believe I made some progress. On somewhat more serious note about painter's repeating themselves, once when I was in Paris the Louvre was having a large exhibition on the french painter Chardin. After seeing the show with a few friends we went out for dinner. The "problem" of Chardins' "repeats" was brought up. My friends felt that painting variations of his own paintings was somehow cheating, selling out, being mercantile, and any other sin you could think of. I was arguing that it was a perfectly legitimate and fascinating activity, and the "repeats" were in fact original paintings. Even when the composition and coloring was identical, the different consistency of the paint would create a new painting. When the paint consistency was very close to the original, the varnish on the paintings would differ in age and render one painting silvery and the other pale gold.
The life of paint is the life for a painter, of course. The way paint imitates life in all it's textures is a most fascinating thing. Sometimes I feel like life imitates paint.
Please check out my Youtube videos which document my struggles to paint the ordinary objects of an onion and a clove of garlic, and my personal efforts to get the paint to at least imitate life.

No comments:

Post a Comment